Guide to a Romantic Getaway
Charleston has been named #6 Best Romantic Getaways in the USA in 2023 by U.S. News & World Report. We’re certain the gas lanterns, cobblestone streets, hidden alleyways, and the sounds of horses and carriages have something to do with making the list! In addition, The Notebook was filmed here, the sunsets will take your breath away, and there’s nowhere better for a candlelight dinner. It can be overwhelming to decide what activities to include in your visit, so we have compiled a small list of some of the best things to do during your romantic getaway in Charleston.
Walk the Waterfront
The Southern end of the Peninsula is the perfect place to hold hands and take in the beauty of beautiful gardens, fountains, and of course the Charleston Harbor!
- Whitepoint Garden is a prominent landmark that has some of Charleston’s finest views. Located on the bottom of the peninsula and is home to 5.7 acres of oak trees and greenery. Views can stretch as far as the Cooper and Ashley Rivers meeting the Atlantic Ocean. Take a pause from exploring the holy city and relax on some of the benches that line the pathways throughout the park.
- The Battery, a landmark defensive seawall and promenade, offers a lovely view of the water on one side and stately historic homes on the other. Take a slight detour and head over to East Bay Street to take a pic of the famous “Rainbow Row”.
- Waterfront Park is home to the famous Pineapple Fountain. With views of the Charleston Harbor and the Cooper River, the park is essentially one of the most romantic and scenic destinations in all of downtown. It has the power to make any newcomer fall in love with our historic city.
Enjoy Happy Hour
Take a break from your busy day to enjoy a cocktail and appetizer to relax and refresh.
- Gin Joint is cozy and quiet with dim lighting–everything needed for a romantic cocktail. Stop in for $7 cocktails Monday-Friday from 5-7 pm.
- Circa 1886 is located on the grounds of the Wentworth Mansion® and offers a daily Happy Hour celebration. Choose from a select list of wines and specialty cocktails all $7 Monday-Tuesday, Thursday-Saturday in the bar area from 5-7 pm.
- Bar Vaute is located beneath French restaurant Brasserie La Banque. Enjoy a romantic atmosphere and half-price oysters and a $6 house red, white, or rose during happy hour Monday-Friday from 4-6 pm.
Take a Tour
There are many ways to explore Charleston’s history, and fun, and enjoy some romance as well!
Dinner For Two
- Circa 1886 Restaurant is nestled behind the Wentworth Mansion in the restored carriage house. Request a cozy booth and indulge in the chef’s tasting menus or the a la carte menu for an unforgettable evening. You’ll end your night out with the most delicious dessert you’ve ever tasted, and we promise it will be a date to remember.
- High Cotton offers a feeling of warmth in dining rooms with heart pine floors and antique brick. You will be served by gracious, knowledgeable servers and enjoy expertly prepared dishes and a remarkable cocktail and wine program.
- 82 Queen has been open for more than 30 years and is nestled in Charleston’s historic French Quarter. They are known for gracious Southern hospitality and “Lowcountry” cuisine. Enjoy dinner in the 19th-century dining rooms or in the heated brick courtyard underneath a breathtaking Southern magnolia tree.
Sunset Stroll At The Beach
Nothing says romance like a sunset walk on the beach, and Charleston has several great beaches to choose from! Below are a few of our favorites. Learn more about our beaches here.
- Folly Beach – 30 minutes southeast of downtown Charleston
- Isle of Palms – 35 minutes northeast of downtown Charleston
- Sullivan’s Island – 20 minutes from downtown Charleston
Recreate the Rowboat Scene in The Notebook at Cypress Gardens
That’s right! The rowboat scene in The Notebook with Ryan Gossling and Rachel McAdams was filmed at Cypress Gardens in Moncks Corner. Take a self-guided boat tour through the cypress trees which goes through the same area that Noah and Allie explored. Sadly, you won’t see the hundreds of geese from the movie, they were brought in just for the film.